Sunday, April 8, 2012

Day 33 (4.5.12): Edible Food Festival at UCLA

It was amazing. It was everything I have been working towards with this blog in bringing two of my favorite things in the whole wide world--food and literature--together. And most of all, it was delicious.

This year was UCLA's 4th annual Edible Book Festival. Well, and what in holy tarnations is an Edible Book Festival? you ask. As my most reliable online source Wikipedia informs me, the International Edible Book Festival--also known as Edible Book Day--happens every year around April 1st. On this momentous day, organizations and institutions around the globe open their doors and pages to all types of food (cakes, candies, caramels--you get the point) that are dedicated to a book of the creator's choosing. Then, people congregate to peruse these literary creations, so to speak, while panels of judges file in for both visual and literal taste-tests of the entries. And then, of course, after all of the formal proceedings are over, there's--you guessed it--

A whole lot of eating. 

When I heard about the festival happening at UCLA's library, I knew I had to enter. The result of two days of working with fickle fondant, messy frostings, and unbelievably uncooperative cakes was what you saw from the previous post. I guess it all worked out in the end, though, because the festival was a complete and total success.

Take a look at just a few of my favorite entries:
The story of the Wyfe of Bath (appropriately spelled in Middle English) by my friend Christina.

21 Balloons (Won Best Tasting)

The Edible Garden (that was a crap ton of cupcakes! Won Best Student Entry)

The Rainbow Fish (won People's Choice)

The Lorax (my personal favorite--I love the illustration here!)

Part II of the Lorax

Of course, The Hunger Games found its way into the festival.

And lastly, don't forget the sly cat in the corner (won Most Creative--along with a brand new Edible Books apron and a $50 gift card!)


The judges coming down the long row of entries. All in all, it was an exhilarating experience being able to bring my own work out to a large crowd, watch everybody taking pictures and admiring everyone else's work, talking to other people about their food-making experience, and explaining all of the fun I had with my own cake to voyeurs, judges, and the Bruin reporters. The only thing I have to say is that I seriously hope nobody got diabetes after this event--it might be a good thing that it only comes once a year after all.



No comments:

Post a Comment