Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Day 11: Homemade Vegetable Soup (Can Be A Blessing In Disguise)


Homemade Vegetable Soup
Status: Homemade (obviously)
Satisfaction: 8--but then again, any soup goes with a cold.

Associated with: Elie Wiesel's Night
 

It may sound like a strange association, but I distinctly remember picking up this book back in fifth grade and latching onto that memorable sentence on the back cover, in which he rhetorically asked, What is the secret to getting a potato in your soup? As a Holocaust and concentration camp survivor, Wiesel understands that which we often take for granted; so that even though I have made this vegetable soup while cursing the untimely cold that has clamped onto my immune system during the last week of the quarter, a moment of reflection reminds me that my situation, after all, is not such a dire one. Not by a long stretch.

No comments:

Post a Comment